Porkuni village

Porkuni village is situating in Tamsalu parish, West-Viru county, Estonia. 239 people live in the village according to the census carried out in 2000.

Porkuni has a beautiful natural scenery, one of the kind in West-Viru County.

In 1479 Simon von der Borch, {bishop of Reval (Tallinn), Bischof von Reval (1477-1492)}, built the castle in Porkuni Küngassaare (Hillock Isle). Castle was surrounded with high masonry wall. From inside the wall consisted long and narrow rooms. In the courtyard there were a church and well for bishop. Besides the gate tower there were seven towers in the corners and sides of the wall. The castle was destroyed in Livonian War in 1558.

Porkuni got its name after Simon von der Borch (old name - Borkholm). Name Borkholm was in use up to the beginning of 20th century.

In 17th century fields and forrests of Porkuni were given as a gift to Tisenhusen family and they established here a manor. Mansion was built in 1874 on the hillock isle. Also the whole manor ensemble was built in here - landlord house, stables, dairy, distillery, shed etc.

In the beginning of 20th century Porkuni was a centre of municipality. Municipality ended its activity in 1939. Manor landholding nationalised in 1920.  In 1924 in the heart of manor located State Deaf School. Land was distributed (sold) to the local farmers.

On the Hillock Isle of Porkuni opened a memorial stone in 1966 for establisher of Estonian Deaf  School, Mr. Ernst Sokolovski and in 1976, for deaf school 110. anniversary opened a sculpture "Porkuni's Mother" (sculptor: Aime Jürjo), dedicated for all the teachers of Porkuni Deaf School. On the isle there are lot of  artwork, prepared by different authors during the Day of Porkuni.

In 1953-56 built a new special board school on the isle, architect Raoul-Levroit Kivi.

Porkuni has a remarkable valley where in the bottom flows river Valgejõgi begins from beautiful Porkuni lake (41,5 ha). Lake consist actually four lakes – Suurjärv (Large lake), Aiajärv (Garden lake), Iiri järv (Irish lake) and Karujärv (Bear lake). Lake gets its water from springs. Bigger springs has also names (Kaieallikas, Külmaallikas). It is impounded lake from springs of Valgejõgi river. It has been deepened several times.

From Porkuni lake starst river Valgejõgi. According to the legends in the 13th century the water level in river was so high that Danish ships came upstream from Gulf of Finland to the Borkholm Castle. According to that legend the valley from Porkuni to Võhmetu-Lemküla is called Danish Valley.

Relief arround Porkuni is variable. On the slopes of the valley lies a beautiful park, where you can find also an old limestone fraction – typical porkuni stratum, which is well known in scientific literature. In the park grows high larches, but behind the Porkuni mill grows native pine.